FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS & ANSWERS:
• What areas do you pick up from? We pick up from Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax County, parts of downtown Washington DC, and Georgetown. We also pick-up from parts of: Prince William County, Centreville, Dumfries, and Triangle. Evening and Saturday pick-up times available.
• What forms of payment do you accept? We accept cash, checks, and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard).
• We are based out of Alexandria VA 22312
• Do you serve residential home owners and small businesses? Yes, we will come to your home or small business. We serve large businesses and government offices too.
• How does it work?
All shredding is done by appointment.
If you have paper and e-media items or hard drives for shredding, you need to separate them into different containers as we use different shredders for paper, plastic and metal.
Taking the papers out of 3 ring binders and removing all metal binder clips and steel hanging file folders and other large metals speeds up the shredding process. There is no need to remove staples or regular size paper clips.
Pick-up paper at your location: Start accumulating paper at your home or office into containers such as cardboard file paper storage boxes, 10” x 12” x 15”. It is important that the containers that contain the paper to be shredded can be picked up by our personnel or loaded onto a cart, and placed into the truck for transporting to our facility. The containers should weigh less than 30 pounds each so one person can carry them easily. You can call on the phone 703-347-4638 to schedule a pick-up day and time, or click on the website link: “Request a Pick-Up” to schedule a time when we will come to your location and pick up whatever containers you have.
Electronics, e-media, hard drives, smart phones shredding: Schedule a pick-up of electronic media items or memory-enabled devices that contain personal or business information. You can remove the hard drive yourself from your computer, or we can pickup the complete computer tower or laptop, and we will remove the hard drive (s) for you and shred them.
Electronics recycling: If you have complete computers, towers, laptop or servers we can pick them up.
• How much does it cost?
Paper pickup at your location: For pickup at your location and shred at our location, generally for a standard size letter file box, 10”x12”x15” it runs $69.99 for pickup and shredding of 4 boxes, plus a pickup fee based on your location. Please note there is a minimum of 4 boxes required for pickup. After the 4th box it is generally $10.00 for each additional box. Volume discounts apply after 10 boxes, larger boxes are additional. Please note there is a surcharge for any single box that weighs more than 30 pounds.
Hard drive shredding: The more hard drives we shred for you at one time, the less it is per hard drive. Hard drives out of the computer and cage: One hard drive for shredding is $19.00, 2 are $18.00 each, 3 are $15.00 each, 4 are $13.00 each, 5 are $12.00 each, 10+ are $10.00 each, call for volume price quote. If you bring the entire computer we can remove the drive for you, there is a labor removal fee plus a recycling fee for the computer due to the hazardous materials in them. In some cases it is more difficult to get the drive out of the computer, or remote hard drive cases, so there could be a labor charge for removal. Normal removal fee’s run between $5.00 and $25.00, depending on the type of computer. Pickup fee’s are additional depending on your location.
• How many pounds of paper do I have? The following are general guidelines for figuring how much paper you have:
A ream of paper (2 inch stack of 8-1/2”x 11” paper – about 500 pieces) weighs about 5 lbs;
Standard letter-size file storage box, measures 10” x 12” x 15”, weighs approximately 25 – 30 lbs;
Standard Xerox letter size box which measures 10” x 12” x 18”, weighs approximately 30 – 35 lbs;
Long letter size file storage box, measures 10’ x 12’ x 24”, weighs approximately 45 - 50 pounds;
Legal-size file storage box, measures 10” x 14” x 24”, weighs approximately 55 – 70 lbs;
13 gallon white trash bag averages about 20 – 25 lbs;
33 gallon black garbage bag averages about 35- 50 lbs.
Please note: there is a surcharge for any single container that weighs over 40 pounds
One way to find out how many pounds of paper you have is to hold the container of paper while you weigh yourself on your bathroom scale, then weigh yourself without holding the paper, and calculate the difference between the two.
• What kind of paper do you shred? We shred all types of paper. If you can tear it, it can be shredded. This includes checkbooks, checkbook registers, tax returns – anything that contains personal and or proprietary information. In addition, we can shred other types of paper that are not so easily torn. This includes posters, and heavy stock paper that contains personal or proprietary information. When cardboard or heavy stock paper does not contain personal or proprietary information, it is best recycled as is rather than shredding. You should remove all metal, and plastic from your paper, we do not shred those.
• Does all my paper have to be shredded? NO, paper that does not contain personal or sensitive information or is not proprietary does not have to be shredded.
• What does ShredStation Express do with the paper it shreds?
The shredded paper from ShredStation Express is recycled and remanufactured into new paper products. Nothing goes to the landfill.
• What does ShredStation Express do with the metals it shreds?
Shredded metal from computer hard drives is recycled as e-scrap metals. Other metals are recycled as well. Nothing goes to the landfill.
If you have additional questions or need more information,
please call 703-347-4638
When your personal shredder just won’t cut it!
We are based out of Alexandria, VA 22312